Thursday, December 22, 2005

Negative Branding

I kinda feel bad calling this guy out -- but for all I know it was an intentional move on his part, and it made me chuckle, so I don't feel that bad.

So as I was chuckling at this and I decide that I want to know more about Andrew Hillman and PlugStar. So after a Google search I find the site (predictably plugstar.com) and that Andrew Hillman has a name twin who is a notorious comment spammer, irrelevent. Hillman has me curious - but the site is pretty dull, except for a link to his Graphic Designer. I was bored so I followed it, that's when I started laughing.

There is a logo that says under construction but the logo says VD. There is also a drop inside the d. I'm sorry to have my mind in the gutter on this - but knee jerk reaction is "I wouldn't pick that as my logo." It probably doesn't matter for him one way or the other, but I can't help thinking this isn't what you want to have your name attached to. I shot off an email to ask him about his experiences with branding. I'm eager to see if I get a reply.

Email...

Sorry to send an intrusive email.
I was catching up on some blog reading and I see a creative pitch by a company called plugstar, I Google it. A link to your site is featured predominantly so I click it.
I see a logo and under construction message.
I notice the logo...
I have to ask, ignore me if you want. Does that negatively affect your business? I have to think that having a brand associated with Venereal Disease can't really qualify as positive branding. Probably sticks in the clients minds though.
Thanks
Tyler Willis

1 Comments:

Blogger Tyler Willis said...

I have recieved no email back. I'll admit it's a juvenile thing to notice. I am sure I'm not the only one who notices it when they see that logo. Keep in mind logos and branding should appeal to the Lowest Common Denominator.

2:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home