Monday, December 19, 2005

DJ Danger Mouse and The Grey Album

A friend recently turned me onto a remix of Jay-Z's Black Album and The Beatles White Album (Thanks Justin). I've heard a lot about this album, I think I remember Lawrence Lessig using it as an example in his IT conversation about Remix, which is very good.


The Grey Album was surprising. I really wanted more of a beatles influence, but I will say the fact that he did it is amazing. The album is an interesting listen. I think it's a bit musically lackluster but awesome in how much it will influence music to come. As someone who has some musical ideas and a wish to create an art that evolves whats out there into something new it's a great influence. and the more I hear it, the more I like it.


Worth the 45 minutes if you like music at all or if you've heard the white album and want to hear a masterful remix of it. I'm currently reading Vonnegut's Monkey House and the grey album reminds me of a part of his short story "New Dictionary" when he says "As Scholes said later, Yates is the sort of man lexicographers read in order to discover what pretty new things the language is up to."

"The Grey Album is the sound a music aficionado studies to see what pretty new things the music is up to."

Go on iTunes, buy it, sit still for 45 minutes, listen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home